How To Register a Political Party in Nigeria
The registration of a political party in Nigeria is done by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja. See our registration checklist below;
- You need a name, logo and acronym of the proposed party (must not be similar to any known registered political party, or have any religious, ethnic or secretarial connotation), you can’t register a party like Christian Democrat or Muslim Democrats.
- Select a Chairman, a Secretary, National and State Executive Committee members – all officers must have been validly elected as the record of election proceedings will be provided to INEC.
- Have a draft Constitution, draft Code of Conduct and Manifesto. The Constitution should have provisions that deal with how elections are conducted, the administrative structure of the proposed party, etc.
- The Constitution must reflect the Federal Character Principle of the 1999 Constitution.
- The proposed party headquarters must be located in the Federal Capital Territory – Abuja, and the proposed party must be present in at least 24 states.
- Payment of non-refundable application fee of N1, 000,000 (One Million Naira).
- Obtain and complete FORM PAI.
- Within 30 working days, the proposed party must submit 50 copies of the completed form and 50 copies of the draft constitution and manifesto along with all other required document.
- Complete and submit the documents with the names, signatures and residential addresses of the chairman and secretary of the proposed political party.
- All the supporting documentation must be submitted within 30 working days. If not, INEC will terminate the application for registration and the proposed political party will have to pay a fresh administrative fee of N1, 000,000.
- After submission, INEC will verify all the claims for conformity with the guidelines.
- The Party will be registered if INEC is satisfied that all the requirements have been met and a Certificate of Registration will be issued.
- Where all requirements have not been met, INEC will notify the political party of the reason for refusal.
- The proposed party may attempt to rectify the defect in the application within the 30-day period without having to pay a fresh administrative fee of N1, 000,000.
618 Bees can help you quickly and easily help you register your political party. Log on to our website www.618bees.comor email firstname.lastname@example.org, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your registration with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.