Monthly expatriate quota report requirement in Nigeria

Monthly expatriate quota report requirement in Nigeria

February 22, 2024

What is a monthly expatriate report?

The concept of Monthly Expatriate Report is used in reference to Expatriate Quota, which is granted to companies or organisations to enable them engage the services of expatriate personnel with skills and qualifications not readily available in Nigeria.

Every company which operates with the grant of expatriate quota is required to submit a monthly quota return to the Federal Ministry of Interior (FMOI) detailing the status of the expatriate quota granted to it.

Why must the report be filed?

The report is expected to provide comprehensive information including the details on the utilization of the expatriate positions and other information necessary to help the FMOI monitor and enforce the implementation of the expatriate quota system.

How is the monthly expatriate report filed?

The monthly quota returns were filed manually in the past, but the returns are now filed electronically via the FMOI eCITIBIZ portal by a company that has an approved expatriate quota.

When is the expatriate report to be filed?

The expatriate report must be filed monthly. The report of the preceding month must be filed within the first 10 days of the following month.

For the purpose of ensuring compliance, the FMOI has imposed penalties for companies which fail to file the monthly return within a specific period after it becomes due. By a public notice issued by the FMOI, companies which fail to file their monthly report from January 2024 shall be liable to penalties as follows:

After the first 10 days –        NGN100,000

After 20 days –                      NGN150,000

After 25 days –                      NGN200,000

The monthly expatriate report is simply a means for the FMOI to keep track of all approved expatriate quotas, and ensure that they are properly utilised. To this end, it is important for companies to adhere to the measures in place, no matter how difficult, in order to avoid any inconvenience and penalties.

Team 618 Bees



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • Why must I file Annual Returns?

    It is a mandatory statutory requirement under the Companies and Allied Matters Act to file Annual Returns yearly. 

  • What’s the difference between a business name and an LLC?
    • A business name is a sole proprietorship, usually owned and managed by one individual only. Legally, the sole proprietor and his business are one. It simply means an individual trading with an alias. The sole proprietor is personally liable for all business related obligations.

    • A limited liability company on the other hand is a separate business entity from the individuals that hold its shares and act as directors. Legally, it’s a separate business entity and a person on its own who can transact business, own property separate from its owners and can sue or be sued. 

  • What is an execution clause in a contract?

    This is the section in which the parties sign the contract or agreement.

  • What will happen if I buy the wrong category of forms with NAFDAC?

    Nothing, the purchased form will be in your account for future use.


  • Is it legal to transfer the personal data you obtained legally to another person?

    No, its not legal. This is because the law prohibits anyone from transferring the data of a third party to another person without consent from the third party to do same even if the data was rightfully obtained in the first instance.

  • What is the difference between licensing and assigning a patent?

    Licensing a patent means granting permission to another individual or organisation to make, use as well as sell the creation that has been protected by patent.

    A patent assignment on the other hand, is a finished exchange of patent rights starting with one individual then onto another person.

  • Is there a penalty for late renewal of registration of products with NAFDAC?

    Yes, there is a late renewal fee, which is dependent on the category of the product.

  • How many shareholders do I need to start a company?

    A minimum of one (1) adult shareholder is required to form a company.

  • How long does a trademark registration in Nigeria Last?

    Trademark is valid for seven years from the date of application but you may renew the application for the trademark for an additional period of 14years.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp