Share Transfer, Share Allotment & Share Surrender

Share Transfer, Share Allotment & Share Surrender

August 25, 2022

There are various forms by which the shares of a company can be distributed to members or other interested parties, such as investors. Though they achieve the same purpose, they are quite different procedures.

SHARE SURRENDER: Share surrender occurs where a shareholder voluntarily returns or relinquishes the shares allotted to him/her by the Company back to the company. The shares are surrendered back to the Company, where the Shareholder desires not to hold the shares of the company anymore. He/She ceases to be liable as a contributor to the liabilities of the company except for past liabilities. The articles of a company must permit the company to accept a surrender of shares. To complete this process, a share surrrender form along with a signed resolution is to be filed with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). The Shareholder must also write a Letter of Surrender in favour of the Company.

SHARE TRANSFER: This occurs when a shareholder gives out his/her interest in a company by way of transfer. This could either be by way of sale (where the articles of association/shareholder agreement of a company authorise such), transmission (which is an operation of law, in cases where a shareholder dies or is bankrupt) or by gift. This is done through an instrument of transfer usually executed by both the transferor and the transferee. A share transfer is complete where a share certificate is issued to the new shareholder by the company and his/her name included in the register of members. Under the CAMA 2020, share transfers do not need to be filed with the CAC but must be reflected in the company’s next filing for Annual Returns.

SHARE ALLOTMENT: This occurs either at incorporation or where the company issues or creates new shares, which can either be issued to new or existing members of the company or new investors. The shares can be allotted in exchange for cash or other consideration or as bonus shares to existing members. A private company would file a return on allotment of Shares with the CAC to register the allotment. Share allotment is often times a company’s technique to expanding its business partners or to ensure liquidity

Team 618 Bees




The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • Must my Company Secretary be a Lawyer?

    Although it’s ideal to have a lawyer as a company secretary, it is not compulsory for small private businesses.

  • Why is mutual assent important in a contract?

    This is one of the key elements of a contract because is shows the meeting of the minds of both parties

  • What are the benefits of Registering with SON?
    1. Product traceability in the Nigerian market
    2. Detection of counterfeit products
    3. Barriers to the circulation of substandard goods
    4. The official SON Product Registration Logo and number are displayed on registered products.
  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • Must I register my work with the Nigerian Copyright Commission?

    No, you must not register your work under the Nigerian law but you have the option to do so. This is because as soon as the original work becomes fixed and tangible it automatically becomes copyrightable.

  • Do I have to physically drop off my product sample at NAFDAC office?

    No, you can choose to have it sent to NAFDAC office

  • What’s the difference between a business name and an LLC?
    • A business name is a sole proprietorship, usually owned and managed by one individual only. Legally, the sole proprietor and his business are one. It simply means an individual trading with an alias. The sole proprietor is personally liable for all business related obligations.

    • A limited liability company on the other hand is a separate business entity from the individuals that hold its shares and act as directors. Legally, it’s a separate business entity and a person on its own who can transact business, own property separate from its owners and can sue or be sued. 

  • What is a trademark?

    A trademark can be any word, sign, symbol or graphic that you apply to your company, goods or services to distinguish them from those of your competitors; for example, a brand, product or company name, or logo. The trademark serves as a badge of origin for your business and its brands and products, and can consist of words, logos, slogans, colours and shapes, or a combination of all of these.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp