How a Foreign Man Married To a Nigerian Woman can Obtain Residence Permit In Nigeria

How a Foreign Man Married To a Nigerian Woman can Obtain Residence Permit In Nigeria

November 02, 2022

A Special Immigrant Status (SIS) is the approval given to foreigners that are married to Nigerian Women for the purpose of residing in Nigeria. To qualify for SIS, the applicant must have been married to a Nigerian woman for up to 5 years. Where qualified, the foreigner married to a Nigerian woman is entitled to a Special Immigrant Status in Nigeria whereby such a foreigner may be eligible also for Combined Expatriate Residence Permit Aliens Card (CERPAC), Nigerian Residence Permit, absolutely free of charge.

The application for an SIS is to be made to the Federal Ministry of Interior. The requirements for filing an application for SIS are as follows:

  1. A formal letter of request from the Nigerian wife accepting Immigration Responsibility.
  2. Formal letter of request from the husband.
  3. Photocopies of the first five (5) pages of the wife’s Nigerian Standard passport.
  4. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate.
  5. Duly completed form IMM22 in triplicate copies with three (3) recent passport photographs.
  6. Applicant’s National Passport.
  7. Current Tax Clearance for the husband
  8. Husband’s current resident permit.

An Applicant for SIS must have obtained a Subject to Regularisation (STR) Visa to make him eligible to enter into the country before applying for the SIS. If the applicant is already a lawful resident in Nigeria through other means, he must provide proof of his residency.

Upon submission of the application, the application is forwarded to the Ministry of Home Affairs in the State of Residence of the Applicant for further investigation.

The Ministry of Home Affairs will interview the Applicant, investigate and gather pertinent information as to the true status and circumstances of the applicant. The Ministry of Home Affairs upon completion of its due diligence will then submit its recommendation to the Federal Ministry of Interior in respect of its findings. The Department of State Service (DSS) may also be enlisted to vet the Applicant at the Direction of the Federal Ministry of Interior.

Where an applicant has the intention to process an SIS and such an STR visa expires before the approval of the SIS, the applicant may be permitted to continue to reside in the country after the expiration of the STR Visa subject to the directive or discretion of the Nigerian Immigration Service since the STR Visa may not be renewed within Nigeria.

Upon approval, the holder of a special immigrant status is entitled to apply for and obtain CERPAC which is gratis, i.e. free of charge. The application shall be submitted to the Office of the Comptroller General, Nigeria Immigration Service Headquarters Abuja or to the Office of the Comptroller of Immigration Service at the State Commands where the expatriate is resident through the Nigerian spouse. The requirements to obtain CERPAC upon the grant of an SIS are:

  1. Letter of Application for Residence Permit by the Nigerian spouse accepting Immigration Responsibility
  2. Copy of Special Immigrant Status approval letter by the Minister of Interior
  3. Husband’s consent letter requesting for Special Immigrant Status
  4. Nigerian passport bio-data page of the spouse
  5. Copy of passport bio-data page of the spouse
  6. Marriage Certificate
  7. CERPAC Form
  8. Two recent passport photographs

Finally, it takes an average of one year or more to obtain the SIS from the date of application to the Federal Ministry of Interior.



618 Bees can quickly and easily help you obtain a Residence Permit in Nigeria. Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Ministry of nterior and Immigration Service.



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • What’s the difference between a business name and an LLC?
    • A business name is a sole proprietorship, usually owned and managed by one individual only. Legally, the sole proprietor and his business are one. It simply means an individual trading with an alias. The sole proprietor is personally liable for all business related obligations.

    • A limited liability company on the other hand is a separate business entity from the individuals that hold its shares and act as directors. Legally, it’s a separate business entity and a person on its own who can transact business, own property separate from its owners and can sue or be sued. 

  • Why is mutual assent important in a contract?

    This is one of the key elements of a contract because is shows the meeting of the minds of both parties

  • Do I have to physically drop off my product sample at NAFDAC office?

    No, you can choose to have it sent to NAFDAC office

  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • When registered, how long does a patent last for?

    Once granted, a patent is valid for 20 years.

  • Can I process/register multiple products at NAFDAC at the same time?

    Yes, you can process/register multiple products at the same time

  • Why do i need a Shareholders Agreement?

    You need a Shareholders Agreement to protect your investment in a company.  The shareholders Agreement establishes a fair relationship between all shareholders and sets out how the company is run.

  • Can I trademark my logo and name separately? Why is this a good idea?

    Yes you can. The advantage is that it gives you the opportunity to have more than one logo or the opportunity to change your logo easily as opposed to registering the name and the logo as one trademark.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp