The 3 mandatory compliance filings for Non-profits registered in Nigeria under the CAMA 2020.

The 3 mandatory compliance filings for Non-profits registered in Nigeria under the CAMA 2020.

October 11, 2021

There are three compliance filing mandatory for all Non-profits organisation to file under the Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) 2020, and they include the Bi-Annual Returns (Filed in July and January each year – every 6 months) and Annual Returns filings.

Bi-Annual returns was recently introduced by the CAMA 2020 in section 845. It states that all non-profits organisation must file their financial statements twice a year. The first filing is between the period of June, 30th to 15th of July of the same year which reveals the details of expenditures and sources of income for the period of 6months of the filing year and the second filing is de between the 31st of December to the 15th of January of the next year for the second 6 months. it shows the statement of affairs of the Non-profit organisation whether there is any debt, judgement, liabilities, source of income, expenditure, etc.

The importance of this filing is to checkmate the financial activities of the non-profit organisation and it helps to declare the status of their finances and the stream of income and expenditure. Default in filing this attracts a fee of N500 per day from each Trustee of the non-profit.

Annual Returns is the second statutory filing for a non-profit. Annual returns are yearly statutory requirements imposed by section 848 of the Companies and Allied Matters Act 2020. Annual Returns help to determine whether the non-profit is active or inactive. Annual returns for incorporated trustees become due on the 30th of June to the 31st of December and each non-profit is required to file this each year except on the year of their registration. This must be accompanied by the organisation’s audited financial statement.

Team 618 Bees



618 Bees can quickly and easily help you file both your organization’s Annual and Bi-Annual Returns in Nigeria. Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).


The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • When are Annual Returns due for filing?

    A company’s first Annual Returns are due for filing after 18 months of its inception, subsequently it should be filed annually as the name implies. The filing dates could differ for each company depending on their financial year end but must be filed not later than 42 days after its Annual General Meeting.

    The Annual Returns for Business Names is due not later than the 30th of June each year except in the year the business was registered.

  • What’s the difference between a business name and an LLC?
    • A business name is a sole proprietorship, usually owned and managed by one individual only. Legally, the sole proprietor and his business are one. It simply means an individual trading with an alias. The sole proprietor is personally liable for all business related obligations.

    • A limited liability company on the other hand is a separate business entity from the individuals that hold its shares and act as directors. Legally, it’s a separate business entity and a person on its own who can transact business, own property separate from its owners and can sue or be sued. 

  • What is an execution clause in a contract?

    This is the section in which the parties sign the contract or agreement.

  • Can I process/register multiple products at NAFDAC at the same time?

    Yes, you can process/register multiple products at the same time

  • What is classified as personal data?

    Name, photograph, personal health/bio information, account/financial information, phone number, Address, date of birth, place of birth, Email address, etc.

  • What is eligible for Patent registration?

    Patents are granted for the invention of products or processes. However, for it to be patentable, the invention

    • Must be new,
    • Must have an inventive step that is not obvious to someone with knowledge and experience in the subject,
    • Must be capable of being made or used in some kind of industry and not be, a scientific or mathematical discovery, theory or method, a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, a way of performing a mental act, playing a game or doing business, the presentation of information, or some computer programs, an animal or plant variety, a method of medical treatment or diagnosis,
    • And must not be against public policy or morality.
  • What will happen if I buy the wrong category of forms with NAFDAC?

    Nothing, the purchased form will be in your account for future use.


  • How many directors do I need to start a company?

    A minimum number of one (1) adult director is required to form a company.

  • Will my trademark registration in Nigeria protect me worldwide?

    No, all intellectual property (IP) rights which includes trademarks are territorial, which means you are protected in the countries in which you register them.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp