How to apply for expatriate quota and business permit in Nigeria

How to apply for expatriate quota and business permit in Nigeria

February 22, 2024

Expatriate Quota

This is an approval granted to registered firms or organizations to employ the services of expatriates for the purpose of training or enhancing the skills of Nigerians during the period of employment.

There are two categories for expatriate quota, namely; Temporary EQ which is an approval for a short period of time for foreign employees while Permanent until reviewed (PUR) is given for a longer period of time to foreign employees who work in Nigeria.

The federal ministry of Interior is in charge of issuing expatriate quota on behalf of the Federal government of Nigeria.

An expatriate quota is granted for an initial period of three years, and will have to be renewed thereafter.

Business Permit

This is the consent given by the government to a foreigner or foreign entity to carry on business in Nigeria.

Generally, one can process the business permit and expatriate quota simultaneously as the requirements are almost the same. Below are the documents to be submitted to the Federal ministry of interior for approval:


  • Incorporation documents
  • Business Permit (not applicable to companies with 100% indigenous ownership)
  • Current Tax Clearance Certificate
  • Lease Agreement or Certificate of Occupancy in respect of business premises Feasibility Study Report
  • Evidence of Imported Machinery
  • License/Permit/Certificate from relevant government agencies where the company is engaged in oil services, health services, fishing, mining or Construction.
  • Evidence of work at hand and value attached to the contract(s) if the company is engaged in building, civil, engineering, construction.
  • Proposed annual salaries to be paid to the expatriates to be employed indicating their job designations, names, and qualifications.
  • Detailed Training Programs for Nigerian understudies.
  • Certificate of Capital Importation (not applicable to companies with 100% indigenous equity holding).
  • Bank Reference Letter
  • Completed Immigration Form T1
  • Evidence of online registration with the Federal Ministry of Interior.
  • Letter of No Objection from the Nigerian Content Monitoring Board for companies operating in the oil and gas sector.


The following are the documents required:

  • Memorandum and articles of association;
  • Current Tax Clearance Certificate (TCC);
  • Certificate of Incorporation; · Partnership/joint venture agreement (if applicable);
  • Shareholding of the company
  • Licenses/approvals from relevant professional bodies.
  • Certificate of Capital Importation along with a covering letter from the bank (where applicable)
  • Evidence of importation of equipment/machinery with details of the value or Form M.
  • Data page of international passport of directors/National identity card
  • Bank statement


Team 618 Bees


618 Bees can quickly and easily help you apply and obtain a business permit and expatriate quota for your company’s foreign employees. Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079/08080819653. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Ministry of Interior and any other relevant compliance agency.



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • Must my Company Secretary be a Lawyer?

    Although it’s ideal to have a lawyer as a company secretary, it is not compulsory for small private businesses.

  • What are the terms of a contract?
    • an offer and an acceptance.
    • competent parties
    • Consideration
    • Legal subject matter
    • Mutual agreement/ Assent
    • Conesus ad idem
    • Obligation
  • Can I process/register multiple products at NAFDAC at the same time?

    Yes, you can process/register multiple products at the same time

  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • Can industrial design be protected under copy right law?

    Yes, it can be protected under copyright law as a work of Art.

  • What are the product categories available when registering with NAFDAC?

    The product categories include: Food, Cosmetics, Drug, Medical Device, Agro-Chemicals & Pesticide, Veterinary Products, Vaccines & Biologicals, Herbal and Nutraceuticals and Water

  • Can my kids be shareholders in my company?

    Yes your kids can hold shares in your company but there must be a minimum of two adult shareholders before kids can be included.

  • What do I need for a trademark search in Nigeria?

    To do a trademark search you will need the name or/and logo (device) of the trademark to be searched and the Class of the trademark that accurately describes it.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp