How to dissolve a non-profit organization in Nigeria

How to dissolve a non-profit organization in Nigeria

October 12, 2021

Non-profit Organisations registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission in Nigeria can only be dissolved by a court of competent jurisdiction. This can be done through a petition.

A petition is a formal request seeking an order from the court and in this instance a petition is a request to the court for an order to dissolve a Non-profit Organisation.

All persons who might be affected by the dissolution of the Non-profit organisation must be kept on notice on the decision to dissolve the organisation.

Where the application for the dissolution of a Non-profit Organisation is granted, the assets of the organisation after all debts and liabilities have been settled would be transferred to an association with similar objectives agreed by members. This is because a non-profit organisation is not in the business of making profit but to carry out charitable deeds so no individual can lay a claim on the property of a non-profit organisation even if he was the donor.

Accordingly, persons who can apply for the dissolution of the organisation are the governing body or council, one or more trustees, members of the organisation constituting at least 50 percent and the commission itself.

These are the grounds upon which an association can be dissolved in Nigeria;

  1. Where the objective of the organisation formed has been fulfilled or carried out, they can apply for dissolution of the association.
  2. Where the organisation was formed to exist for a specific period of time.
  3. A situation where the objectives of the organisation contravenes public opinion or has been illegal by means of a new law or by public policy.
  4. Where it is just and equitable to dissolve the association
  5. Where the commission has withdrawn or revoked the Certificate of incorporation.


Team 618 Bees


618 Bees can quickly and easily help you dissolve your Non-profit Organization in Nigeria. Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).


The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.

More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • Must my Company Secretary be a Lawyer?

    Although it’s ideal to have a lawyer as a company secretary, it is not compulsory for small private businesses.

  • What are the terms of a contract?
    • an offer and an acceptance.
    • competent parties
    • Consideration
    • Legal subject matter
    • Mutual agreement/ Assent
    • Conesus ad idem
    • Obligation
  • What is SON?

    SON stands for ‘Standards Organization of Nigeria’

  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • Must I register my work with the Nigerian Copyright Commission?

    No, you must not register your work under the Nigerian law but you have the option to do so. This is because as soon as the original work becomes fixed and tangible it automatically becomes copyrightable.

  • What are the product categories available when registering with NAFDAC?

    The product categories include: Food, Cosmetics, Drug, Medical Device, Agro-Chemicals & Pesticide, Veterinary Products, Vaccines & Biologicals, Herbal and Nutraceuticals and Water

  • What is share capital?

    The share capital in a private limited company is the amount of money invested by its owners in exchange for shares of ownership.

  • What is a trademark?

    A trademark can be any word, sign, symbol or graphic that you apply to your company, goods or services to distinguish them from those of your competitors; for example, a brand, product or company name, or logo. The trademark serves as a badge of origin for your business and its brands and products, and can consist of words, logos, slogans, colours and shapes, or a combination of all of these.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp