Procedure for share transfer and share surrender in Nigeria

Procedure for share transfer and share surrender in Nigeria

November 30, 2021

Before any company can be incorporated it is required by the law to have an authorised share capital which is divided among the members according to their contribution in the company. These shares can either be ordinary or preferred shares.

A subscriber in the Articles of Association or a shareholder can transfer their shares in whole or in part to another individual or company or can surrender the shares back to the company.

The transfer of shares to another individual or company is called share transfer. A share transfer is done internally through an instrument of transfer. It is however, deemed to be properly transferred when the name of the transferee is reflected in the company’s register of members in regards to shares upon an application by the transferor. Electronic instrument of share transfer is acceptable. A share transfer must be executed by both parties either by themselves or on their behalf. Where a share transfer is in writing it can be an acceptable means of transfer provided it is accepted by the director.

Share surrender on the other hand, is the surrender of shares back to the company by an individual or corporate body who subscribed for shares in the company. The first step in share surrender is for the shareholder to write a letter to the company stating the amount surrendered. Also, a special resolution by the company would be prepared to reflect the shareholder’s intention to surrender the shares back to the company and the number of shares so surrendered, it would also reflect the new share structure of the company. Finally, the application for share surrender would be filed with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

Lastly, as an unspoken rule, before any change can be effected for a company at the CAC, the company must have filed up to date Annual returns.

Team 618 Bees



618 Bees can quickly and easily help you file share transfers, surrenders and transmissions for your company in Nigeria. Log on to our website or email, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).



The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached


More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • What’s the difference between a business name and an LLC?
    • A business name is a sole proprietorship, usually owned and managed by one individual only. Legally, the sole proprietor and his business are one. It simply means an individual trading with an alias. The sole proprietor is personally liable for all business related obligations.

    • A limited liability company on the other hand is a separate business entity from the individuals that hold its shares and act as directors. Legally, it’s a separate business entity and a person on its own who can transact business, own property separate from its owners and can sue or be sued. 

  • Why is mutual assent important in a contract?

    This is one of the key elements of a contract because is shows the meeting of the minds of both parties

  • What are the benefits of Registering with SON?
    1. Product traceability in the Nigerian market
    2. Detection of counterfeit products
    3. Barriers to the circulation of substandard goods
    4. The official SON Product Registration Logo and number are displayed on registered products.
  • Is it legal to transfer the personal data you obtained legally to another person?

    No, its not legal. This is because the law prohibits anyone from transferring the data of a third party to another person without consent from the third party to do same even if the data was rightfully obtained in the first instance.

  • Can an industrial design be sold?

    An industrial design is a company asset and the right to sell is in the hands of the registered owner.

  • Do I have to physically drop off my product sample at NAFDAC office?

    No, you can choose to have it sent to NAFDAC office

  • What is share capital?

    The share capital in a private limited company is the amount of money invested by its owners in exchange for shares of ownership.

  • Does a trademark search automatically reserve my trademark name?

    No, a trademark search does not automatically reserve that which is sought to be trademarked. A search ascertains whether that which is sought to be trademarked is available or violates any existing trademark.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp