How to obtain a Value Added Service (VAS) license from the NCC

How to obtain a Value Added Service (VAS) license from the NCC

October 15, 2019

A Value Added Service License is a major requirement by Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for any business proffering value added services. Value added services are network based services other than voice calls, that is provided in form of text, video, graphics, pictures, multimedia or data for the purpose of conveying information or executable content either downloaded or accessed online and normally at extra cost.

Here are the processes you must follow in order to obtain a Value Added Service License:

  1. Purchase an Application form for the sum of N1, 000 from the Nigerian Communications Commission.
  2. Complete the form and photocopy two copies of the form and attach the following documents:
  • Certificate of Incorporation.
  • Current Tax Clearance Certificate.
  • Certified True Copy of the Memorandum and Articles of the Company.
  • Certified True Copy of CAC 7-Particulars of the directors of the Company.
  • Passport Photographs of the Directors of the company.
  • Feasibility report of proposed service applied (where applied).
  • 3 passport photographs of an authorized representative.
  • Evidence of an Agreement or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) entered between the company and the Mobile Network Operator(s) for the provision of Valued Added Services or alternatively the applicant should provide a copy of the license duly issued by CBN for Mobile Services.
  • Evidence of an Agreement or MOU entered between the company and the Network Operator(s).
  1. After attaching the above documents, spiral bind the documents, pay a non-refundable administrative fee which is 5% of the relevant license fee and submit all the documents with the receipt of payment to the Nigerian Communications Commission.
  2. Upon Submission, the documents will go through proper scrutiny and if found to be in order, the license is then issued.
  3. This license is issued for a period of five years renewable for an equal term subject to the fulfilment of certain requirements.

NB: Upon being issued the Value Added Service License, the remaining 95% of the License Fee is to be paid to the Nigerian Communications Commission.


The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached.



More Articles


Connect With Us

Got any questions?

If you are having any questions, please feel free to ask.

Send us an email

Frequently Asked

  • What additional documents do I require to file my Annual Returns?
  • What is the first thing I must do to register a business in Nigeria?

    To register a business in Nigeria; you would need to conduct a name search of the business. You can achieve this using your CAC-CRP account.

  • What is an execution clause in a contract?

    This is the section in which the parties sign the contract or agreement.

  • What are the benefits of Registering with SON?
    1. Product traceability in the Nigerian market
    2. Detection of counterfeit products
    3. Barriers to the circulation of substandard goods
    4. The official SON Product Registration Logo and number are displayed on registered products.
  • What is personal data?

    This is any information that can be used to identify an identifiable human person such passport photograph.

  • What is a copyright?

    Copyright is the exclusive legal right given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorise others to do the same.

  • When can I start renewal of the registration of my product(s) with NAFDAC?

    You can start renewal 6 months to the date of expiry.

  • Who can be directors in my company?

    Any two adults can be directors in a company.

  • How long does a trademark registration in Nigeria Last?

    Trademark is valid for seven years from the date of application but you may renew the application for the trademark for an additional period of 14years.

Call Us Now on +234 901 719 0079 Chat on WhatsApp