How to Obtain A Marriage License in Nigeria
The Marriage Act, CAP M6, Laws of the federation of Nigeria (2004) which covers marriages in Nigeria charges the Ministry of Interior with carrying out statutory marriages in Nigeria. Under Nigerian law, the two types of marriages recognised are:
- Ordinary Marriage – This is a marriage between two Nigerian citizens.
- Special marriage – this is a marriage either between a non-Nigerian and a Nigerian citizen or between two Non-Nigerians resident in Nigeria.
For legally binding ordinary marriages conducted in Nigeria between two Nigerian citizens, an application must be made to the Marriage Registry. The application for marriage can be done either manually at the Registry office or through the Registry’s online portal. A certified Marriage certificate is issued by the Registry after all procedures and payments have been duly fulfilled by the applicants.
List of requirements for Ordinary Marriage application;
- Birth Certificate or Declaration of Age.
- Passport photograph
- Sworn Affidavit of Bachelorhood/Spinsterhood from a law court/ Bachelorhood/Spinsterhood Certificate (If bachelor/spinster)
- Affidavit of Marriage (If already married)
- Evidence of Divorce – Decree 90 and Decree Absolute (If Divorced)
- Death certificate of Previous Wife/husband (If a Widower/Widow)
- Evidence of Annulment from Court (If previous marriage annulled)
- Sworn Affidavit of Single with Child/Children (if single with child/children)
After the above documents are submitted at the registry office or uploaded online, payment is made for the application and the 21 days notice period starts counting. After the 21 working days notice period, the applicants can then return to the Registry on the selected date of oath.
The couple is required to provide one witness each from both of them on the wedding day (Please note that witnesses are not gender specific). The couple is also required to provide two (2 ) rings (male and female) or a bible/Quran as the case may be.
The following are acceptable forms of dressing for the wedding:
- Wedding dresses and Suits.
- Native Attire.
- Corporate Ensemble.
Team 618 Bees
618 Bees can help you quickly and easily obtain a Marriage License. Log on to our website www.618bees.com , email email@example.com, or give us a call on +2349017190079. 618 Bees will complete your application with the Ministry of Interior.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, no information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or professional advice from the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer. This post is protected by intellectual property law and regulations. It may however be shared using appropriate sharing tools provided that our authorship is always acknowledged and this Disclaimer Notice attached